When you hear the word “taco,” Mexican food is most definitely what comes to mind. But the concept of a taco doesn’t have to just be limited to Mexican cuisine. In fact, when using flour tortillas as the base, there are all kinds of flavors you can experiment with.
Enter Tandoori Chicken Tacos. These tacos are inspired by Indian cuisine, using easy homemade tandoori chicken and all kinds of delicious toppings. It’s the perfect way to mix things up.
My favorite Indian restaurant makes a really wonderful tandoori chicken that is always served simply with grilled onions and peppers. As I was enjoying the chicken one day, it came to me that those ingredients would be really wonderful on a taco. Add some cabbage and a little raita, the classic Indian yogurt-cucumber sauce, and you have the perfect Indian taco.
These tacos are mighty fine, with the spiciness of Indian food coming through in a subtle and delicious way. Be sure to use flour tortillas for the best flavor!
Tandoori Chicken Tacos
Makes: 6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 12 flour tortillas (smallest size you can find)
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- Raita sauce (recipe below)
- Fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
- The night before, mix together the yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, ginger, coriander, salt, cayenne pepper, cardamom, cloves, and black pepper. Stab the 2 chicken breasts with a fork on all sides, then place in yogurt mixture. Let marinate overnight.
- The next day, roast chicken in a 450 F oven for approximately 20 minutes, or until juices run clear and internal temperature of the chicken reaches 160 F.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Sautee onion and pepper in a large frying pan over medium heat in canola oil, until veggies are softened.
- Top tortillas with tandoori chicken, grilled onions and peppers, red cabbage, raita sauce, and cilantro.
Makes: 1 cup
Prep Time: 5 minutes
- 1/2 cup cucumber, shredded
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon green onion
- 1/4 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch cardamom
- Peel and seed cucumber, then shred.
- Mix all ingredients together. Store in fridge and serve cold.