The 6 Most Popular Sweeteners and How to Use ThemKelsey Banfield
In a lot of recipes I’ve read lately I’ve noticed that people are calling for new, different kinds of ingredients to sweeten their food. It is not that the sweeteners were just invented, it is just that alternatives to granulated sugar have been increasing in popularity as people look for more natural, healthier sweetening options. I read a lot of recipes and have determined that there are six very popular sweeteners people use these days. I’ve listed them below, along with a little bit about each one. Do you use any of these sweeteners? Which one is your favorite and why?
1. White Sugar: This is the classic sweetener and is used as a base of common simple syrup. It is made from sugar beets and sugar cane.
2. Agave: This sweet syrup comes from the agave plant. It is slightly sweeter than sugar so people usually use less of it. It works well for cooking and baking.
3. Brown Rice Syrup: Amazingly, this sweet syrup is processed from basic brown rice. It has a nuttier taste and isn’t quite as sweet as white sugar.
4. Honey: Honey is very concentrated like maple syrup which makes it sweeter than white sugar. It is naturally occurs in beehives and can even be eaten in raw form if you choose. Honey is delicious for flavoring beverages as well as baking and cooking.
5. Maple Syrup: Maple syrup is the concentrate sap from the maple tree. It is also sweeter than white sugar and has a distinct nutty taste. It is delicious for sweetening beverages and drizzling over breakfasts and desserts.
6. Raw sugar: This is made from sugar cane juice and has a darker color and nice crunch. It is often used for sprinkling over baked goods for added texture.