There are very few things that my daughter truly misses since becoming a vegan.
Sugar cookies are one of those things.
A large, crunchy sugar cookie – thickly iced and even more thickly sprinkled – was one of her greatest joys in life. And so I made it a top priority to find, and bake, the best sugar cookie ever.
Just like the cupcakes, the goal here was to make a knock-out sugar cookie – not a “it’s-good-for-a-vegan-cookie” cookie.
We had a few attempts before we nailed it, but I’m happy to report that these cookies nail it. They roll out beautifully and bake up crispy and golden brown. And the icing was pretty much an exact replica of her beloved originals.
And let’s not forget the sprinkles.
Let’s get baking!
Vegan Sugar Cookies
adapted from She Knows
- 1 1/4 c. flour (you can do 1/2 all purpose and 1/2 whole wheat flour if you prefer)
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/4 t. baking soda
- 1/2 c. vegan butter
- 1-2 T. water
- 1 t. vanilla
- Vegan Icing
- assorted sprinkles and decor
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a mixer bowl combine flour, sugar and baking soda – blend on low just to combine. Add butter, vanilla and 1 T. water to the mixture – blend on low till just combined (add an additional 1 T. water if dough seems dry).
- Divide the dough into two even pieces; roll each half between two pieces of parchment paper to 1/4³ thick. Cut dough into desired shapes (dipping your cutter in flour between cuts), and freeze for at least 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Place one sheet of dough onto a cutting board remove both pieces of parchment paper. Using a thin spatula, carefully transfer cookies to your prepared baking sheets. Bake for 7-10 minutes, till lightly browned around the edges. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
- Re-roll scraps until you’ve used up all of the dough.
- When cookies are completely cooled, ice and decorate.