For Christmas my daughter was given an adorable baking book from Crumbs Bakery. It contained a whole bunch of Crumbs recipes specifically designed for children to bake from. They were each printed in large, clear font on laminated notecards with colorful illustrations of the finished product. It also contained a set of pink measuring spoons and cupcake or cookie decorating stencils. My daughter, already the inveterate baker, wanted to start baking her way through the kit right away starting with the Crumbs cupcake recipe.
The first thing I did was adapt the recipe to make a dozen regular sized cupcakes instead of six giant cupcakes. Since I knew we would be eating them I didn’t want to produce cupcakes that were the actual size of my daughter’s head! Baking them was quite easy, and fun. The batter was smooth and thick, almost like a quick bread. They baked up easily and we happily frosted them with the cream cheese frosting and rolled them in rainbow sprinkles. I have to say, though smaller, they tasted a lot like the Crumbs version. I think these would be great for a kid’s party or just for fun, I know I’ll be making them again soon.
Crumbs Bakery Vanilla Cupcake Recipe
adapted from the Crumbs Bakery kids baking kit
3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 pound cream cheese
1 pound unsalted butter
1 16oz. box confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners.
2. In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then add the eggs, mixing well after each addition, followed by the vanilla and almond extracts.
3. Sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda into a small bowl. Then, with the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating with the buttermilk and ending with the flour.
4. Fill each cup 3/4 full with batter. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until the center of the cupcakes spring back when touched. Cool completely before frosting.
5. To make the frosting cream together the butter and cream cheese until totally smooth. Then add the sugar and vanilla extract and beat until smooth. Frost each cupcake then place the sprinkles on a plate and roll the sides of the cupcake in them.