The Most Irresistible Spicy Sausage Mushroom Lasagna RollsNicole Presley
It is safe to say that lasagna is my favorite Italian dish. Okay, maybe it rides on par with pizza, but come on, lasagna is up there. Here’s the catch though — my wacky family never wants to eat Italian food, so my meetings with Italian are far in between, but when it happens … there is definitely love in the air. I savor every morsel and relish the moment to the point of having no conversation outside of my head. I am in deep with heavenly lasagna. Tonight was no exception to the rule … I made spicy sausage mushroom lasagna rolls, and was in complete bliss.
Ingredients for spicy sausage mushroom lasagna rolls:
- 1 – tablespoon butter
- 3 – cups mushrooms (1 1/2 cups sliced, and 1 1/2 cups minced)
- 1 – pound of ground sausage (I used jimmy dean- Italian)
- 2 – tablespoons olive oil
- 1 – onion (chopped into small cubes)
- 1 – tablespoon minced garlic
- 8 – basil leaves (chopped finely)
- 1/2 – teaspoon black pepper
- 2 – teaspoons chile pepper (the kind you put on pizza)
- 1 – teaspoon Lawry’s seasoning salt
- 1/2 – teaspoon sugar
- 3 – cups canned chopped tomatoes
- 14 – oz. tomato sauce
- 10 – lasagna noodles (cooked according to package)
- 10 – teaspoons ricotta cheese
- 70 – baby spinach leaves
- 1 – cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 – cup cheddar cheese
- 1/4 – cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a large frying pan over a medium flame add butter and allow it to melt.
- Then add in 1 1/2 cups of sliced mushrooms and saute for 4 minutes.
- Add in pork sausage and with a spatula break it up into little pieces while it cooks. Combine it into the mushrooms. Cook the sausage for about 10 to 15 minutes or until completely cooked. Remove and set to the side.
- In a medium pot over a medium flame add in olive oil and allow to get hot.
- Add in onion, mix, and allow to saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add in garlic, 1 1/2 cups minced mushrooms, basil leaves, black pepper, chile pepper, and Lawry’s. Mix to combine. Let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in sugar, chopped tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Mix to combine. Let cook/simmer for 20 minutes.
- Boil noodles according to box.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
- Pour 2/3rds of the tomato mixture into a 9×13 pyrex baking dish. Set to the side and reserve the remaining tomato mixture to the side.
- Lay the noodles flat on a baking mat or non-stick surface. Then spread 1 teaspoon of ricotta cheese on each of the lasagna noodles. Covering the entire strips in a thin layer of ricotta.
- Then lay 7 baby spinach leaves on each strip.
- Sprinkle the top of the spinach with 1/4 cup ground sausage mushroom mixture.
- Top the sausage mixture with a few pinches of mozzarella cheese, then a few pinches of cheddar cheese.
- Take one end of the lasagna noodle and roll it up to the other end of the noodle.
- Then place in the tomato based pyrex dish. Continue until all noodles are rolled.
- Then once all rolls are in the dish pour remaining tomato mixture over the top.
- Sprinkle the tops with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
For more recipes from Nicole Presley click over to her blog: Presley’s Pantry
Nicole loves pinning. Follow her on Pinterest.