The Ultimate in Decadant Desserts: Salted Nutella Pull-Apart BreadKelsey Banfield
There are bread puddings and then there is pull-apart bread. The two are not the same. Despite seeming like they should be this decadent stack of fresh baked yeasted bread layered with nutella and flecks of sea salt is not a way to use up a leftover loaf. Instead, it is a fresh loaf that – I swear – can serve as breakfast, dinner, or snack. Or, anything in between. I know I am thinking of adding a simple sprinkle of sanding sugar on top and calling it breakfast on Thanksgiving morning! Here is an incredibly awesome treat you can eat just about any time of day and is very easy to make!
Salted Nutella Pull-Apart Bread
adapted from Joy the Baker
For the Dough:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons (1 envelope) active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 ounces unsalted butter
1/3 cup whole milk
1/4 cup water
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Filling:
1/2 – 1 cup nutella
2 tablespoons sea salt
1. In a large mixing bowl for an electric mixer mix the milk, water, yeast, and a small pinch of granulated sugar. Set aside until it is foamy about 5 minutes.
2. Then, using the dough hook, stir in the flour, sugar, salt, butter and eggs and stir until totally combined. Keep stirring the dough until it is smooth, soft, and sticky.
3. Remove the dough from the bowl and place it in a lightly oiled mixing bowl. Cover it with plastic wrap and let it sit in a warm place out of direct sun light for two hours, or until doubled in size.
4. Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface to a 12×20 rectangle. Spread the dough with the nutella and sprinkle the sea salt evenly over the top. Then, slice the dough into 6 even strips and stack them on top of each other. Cut the stack into 6 pieces and layer the stacks into a loaf pan. Cover the pan with a cotton kitchen towel and let rise for another hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 350F and bake the loaf for about 20 to 30 minutes, or until the dough is dark golden on top. Allow to cool for 20 minutes. Then serve.