If there’s one food we can all agree is universally loved — well, that food is pizza. And I think we can also agree that homemade always trumps frozen, out-of-the-box, and take-out. But what do you do when you’re craving that pizza — but want it fast? Like, right now?! You make this.
Combine your favorite toppings, a healthy dose of shredded cheese, and a tortilla in your cast iron skillet. Then give it a run under the broiler, and you’ve got your new favorite late-night snack, after-school-treat, or decadent breakfast.
It’s fast, easy, and a perfect “starter” recipe for your older kids to master. Even better, this pizza is a great way to use up any leftover bits and pieces you’ve got lying around the fridge — to delicious results!
For this pizza I foraged in my refrigerator and came up with: one lone leek, a few strips of bacon, and a wedge of Parm. I wanted to make this a one-dish meal, so I sautéed the bacon in the skillet first (to render some of the fat and start it cooking), removed it, and then cooked the sliced leek in the bacon fat until it was slightly softened and began to color.
I wiped out the pan and proceeded with the recipe (below). So, so good.
Feel free to use whatever you’ve got — almost anything will work, but here are our favorite toppings:
- sliced peppers, mushrooms, and onions
- prosciutto, sausage, or salami
- chopped spinach or broccoli
- a sunny side up egg (break it over the pizza just before placing in the oven)
- fresh tomatoes
And here are some helpful hints, to guarantee success:
- Don’t overload the tortilla with toppings (I know, it’s so tempting!) — if it’s too weighed down, it won’t crisp up as evenly, and you’ll have a soggy mess. A light touch is best.
- Broil times will vary based on your oven — it can take as little as 2 minutes or as long as 8. You’ll know after one or two tries; keep a close watch, and when it’s nicely browned and bubbly, it’s ready!
- You can use any size tortilla, and gluten-free works beautifully in this recipe, too!
- I made a white pizza but feel free to spread a bit of tomato sauce (either jarred or homemade) on the tortilla before adding the toppings — about 1/4-1/3 cup will suffice.
- I promise you will be making these pizzas on the regular — for your kids, yourself, and even guests (it’s the perfect party food)!
Cast Iron Skillet Tortilla Pizza
recipe adapted from Serious Eats
- 2 slices bacon, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 leek, cleaned and thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 large flour tortilla
- 2 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat broiler and place rack 6-8 inches from the heating element.
- Cook the bacon in your cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, until fat is rendered and bacon begins to color.
- Remove bacon with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels. Add the sliced leeks to the rendered fat and cook until softened and starting to color (about 3 minutes). Then transfer to a small dish and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the oil to the skillet and heat for 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat to low and wipe out any excess oil using a paper towel. Place the tortilla in the skillet, followed by the mozzarella, leeks, bacon, and Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place pan in oven and cook until cheese is brown and bubbly (start checking after 2 minutes; could take up to 8 minutes).
- Remove pan from oven and let pizza sit for 2-3 minutes to allow toppings to set. Transfer to a plate and serve immediately.