Ice cream is usually the exclusive province of the summer months. Once brisk winter winds kick up, few of us feel like cozying up to a chilly bowl of frozen custard. But affogato? At once frosty and warm, affogato — ice cream surrounded by warm espresso — is a wonderful wintertime dessert.
This recipe subs traditional vanilla ice cream for a decadent, impossibly creamy chocolate coconut milk ice cream with a hint of sea salt. It’s vegan too — though it’s rich enough that no one will miss the cream and eggs. In place of espresso, I used freshly ground espresso beans brewed up nice and strong in my French press. I came out with a wonderfully balanced dessert — the sweet chocolatey coconut ice cream was balanced beautifully by the nutty flavor of freshly brewed coffee.
Chocolate Coconut Affogato
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk, well-shaken
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup freshly brewed espresso or strong coffee
- In a medium bowl, vigorously whisk cornstarch into half the coconut milk. Set aside.
- Pour remaining coconut milk into a heavy-bottomed saucepan and set over medium heat. Whisk in sugar and cocoa powder. When sugar has dissolved, whisk in cornstarch mixture. Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until mixture has thickened considerably — enough to completely coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Spoon ice cream base into a container with a tight fitting lid, place container in an ice bath, and set in fridge to chill at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Process ice cream mixture according to your ice cream maker’s instructions. I found the base to be very thick, and stopped my ice cream maker to scrape down the sides several times. Spoon finished ice cream into a freezer-proof container and set in freezer to cure for at least 3 hours.
- Set ice cream out to soften for 10 minutes before scooping.
- To make affogato, set out 4 small glasses and brew 1 cup espresso or strong coffee. Add a scoop of ice cream to each of the glasses, then slowly pour 1/4 cup espresso or coffee over each. Serve immediately.