Vegan Cocoa Berry Cakes, Cream Coconut Frostingkathypatalsky
This Cocoa Berry Cake is infused with juicy berries and rich cocoa powder. Rich vegan cream cheese coconut frosting is swirled on top. This decadent looking dessert is actually studded with quite a few healthy ingredients like chia seeds, whole wheat flour and more. And this creamy coconut oil based frosting is delightful a wide variety of dessert recipes. Add this light and feel good cake recipe to your spring baking line-up!..
Cocoa Berry Cakes
vegan, makes about 5 mini cakes (or you could also make about 16 cupcakes)
1 1/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp chia seeds + 2 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp ground flax seeds
2 1/2 Tbsp cocoa powder
3/4 cup vegan sugar
1/3 cup vegan butter, softened
1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup chopped blueberries
1 Tbsp finely shredded beets (for color)
1/2 cup finely chopped strawberries
3/4 cup non-dairy milk, plain
1/3 cup soy yogurt
1-3 dashes cayenne, optional
Coconut Cream Frosting
10 ounces vegan cream cheese
4 cups powdered sugar
3/4 cup unrefined virgin coconut oil
dash of salt (about 1/8 tsp)
1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
frosting amount – this recipe make more than enough frosting – if you like “extra frosting and don’t mind using up the leftovers, follow recipe as shown – if you don’t want leftovers, I’d suggest halving this recipe.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease your mini cake tins – or cupcake tins.
2. Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
3. Soak the chia seeds in the two tablespoons of water.
4. Stir in the wet. You can beat on a low speed with a mixer if you’d like – but not required. Fold in the thickened chia seed mixture. Lastly, fold in the strawberries, blueberries and beets.
5. Spoon batter into mini cake tins.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for about 18-25 minutes depending on tin size. Use the toothpick test before removing cakes.
7. Allow cakes to cool at least and hour before frosting.
8. While the cakes are baking you can whip up the frosting. Simply place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and blend with mixer until smooth and creamy. The frosting will stiffen up quite a bit in the fridge. Place in fridge to chill at least an hour (maybe longer) before adding to cupcakes. You can place in the freezer to speed up the firming process.
Frost and serve. Store leftover frosting and cakes in fridge. I like to frost each cake right before eating – the leftover frosting and cakes will keep in the fridge for a few days.
Read more from Kathy on her blog, Healthy. Happy. Life!
Don’t miss the latest from Family Kitchen – Like Us on Facebook!
More on Family Kitchen: