This rich and decadent vegan double chocolate loaf cake is the perfect bite when a chocolate craving hits. Made using rich unsweetened cocoa powder, chocolate chunks and some simple vegan ingredients, this cake bakes up moist and sweet with deep dark chocolate flavor in every bite. If you have never tried baking a vegan loaf, give this dreamy cake a try!..
Vegan Double Chocolate Cake, Loaf
vegan, makes 1 large loaf
1 1/4 cups white flour, organic
1 cup sugar, organic
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp instant coffee (optional)
3/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup almond milk (or soy milk) – plain flavor
1 tsp apple cider or white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup vegetable oil, (like canola or safflower)
1/4 cup warm water + 1 tsp chia or flax seeds (egg replacer)
1/2 cup vegan chocolate chunks or crushed dark chocolate bar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Stir the egg replacer (seeds and water) together and allow to sit for at least five minutes to plump a bit.
3. Combine dry ingredients and stir in the wet ingredients (including seed mixture) until smooth. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
4. Grease a loaf pan with vegan butter or veggie oil. I like to sprinkle sugar in the pan to give a sweet outside texture. Pour in batter.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes or until center is baked through. Cool. Slice. Serve!
photo: Kathy Patalsky
More on Family Kitchen: