Holiday treats come in lots of forms — cookies, cakes, pies, eggnog, candy — and while they’re definitely all delicious, not many of them are healthy. That needn’t be the case. With the help of creamy coconut milk, molasses, and fresh ginger, you can whip up a satisfying vegan smoothie that conjures all the best flavors of the season in one naturally sweet, creamy sip.
To make them, you’ll need a few frozen bananas, coconut milk, and apple cider. Add fresh ginger, molasses, and cinnamon to the mix, and you have a holiday treat to remember. Part of this smoothie’s appeal is the addition of coconut milk, which makes it incredibly thick and creamy as well as lends a wonderful sweetness to boot.
For a healthier sip, feel free to sub in another milk or milk alternative if you’d like, but for the best flavor and texture, coconut milk is worth the splurge.
Vegan Gingerbread Smoothies
Makes: 4 servings
- 2 bananas, peeled and frozen ahead of time
- 1 1/2 cups ice
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup unfiltered apple cider
- 2 tablespoons peeled, minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon unsulphured molasses
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Combine all of the ingredients in the pitcher of a blender and blend until smooth. Add additional apple cider, if needed, to thin smoothies.
- Pour into glasses and serve right away.