“Vegan” and “gluten-free” are probably not terms that come to mind when thinking about ice cream sandwiches. Which is why I am so excited to share these delicious (and easy!) dairy-free AND gluten-free treats!
Having a vegan daughter presents its challenges, for sure. Particularly when it comes to sweets and treats. I mean, how does one make a stellar dessert without the use of butter, eggs, and milk, I ask? On top of that, we’re also in the midst of a gluten-free trial with my young son. Though he does not have any health issues, we’ve become acutely aware of the empty calories that foods containing white flour put into our systems, and so we wanted to eliminate it (as much as possible) from all of our diets. And with all of the great gluten-free food options — especially alternative baking flours — we knew this was a perfect time to try.
Fortunately, there are plenty of workarounds — all represented beautifully in these scrumptious sandwiches.
Let’s start with the cookie dough base. If you are a cookie dough lover, you will adore this — it tastes exactly like cookie dough but because it’s vegan, there are no raw eggs to worry about. I have made this recipe into cookie dough bars dozens of times — and they fly out of the kitchen. But as amazing as it is on its own, I knew the dough would make the perfect base for ice cream sandwiches!
As for the ice cream? If you spend any kind of time on Pinterest, you’ve probably come across a recipe for one-ingredient banana ice cream. I know, I was a skeptic, too. But then I tried it.
Chunks of frozen banana are whirled in the food processor and in a few minutes become a creamy frozen treat. You can serve it up as is, but it also pairs wonderfully with pretty much any flavor you could imagine — malt, peanut butter, cinnamon, and even Nutella.
And of course, chocolate.
So who says you can’t have your cake ice cream sandwich and eat it, too?
Vegan & Gluten-Free Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches
Cookie Dough Base:
- 1/2 cup dairy-free butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup gluten-free, all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
Chocolate-Banana Ice Cream:
- 3 ripe bananas, sliced and frozen
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Make the cookie dough base: Line two 8 x 8” pans with plastic wrap (if you don’t have two pans, simply work with half the batter at a time).
- Combine all ingredients except the chocolate chips in the bowl of a mixer; beat until well-blended.
- Add the chocolate chips and beat on low just until chips are incorporated. Divide the dough between your two pans, pressing firmly and evenly. Cover and freeze for 6 hours or overnight.
- Make the ice cream: Place the frozen banana slices in a food processor. Blend until crumbly; scrape down the sides. Blend again until creamy, scraping down the sides again if needed. Add the cocoa powder and blend until completely smooth.
- Assemble the sandwiches: Spread the ice cream on one of the large, frozen cookie bases in the pan and top with the other frozen cookie base. Freeze for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.
- Using the plastic wrap as an aide, transfer the large cookie sandwich to a cutting board and cut into 16 individual sandwiches (four across by four down). Serve immediately or keep frozen in an airtight container.