In yet another attempt to fit more leafy greens into my day, I’ve come up with a quick, easy Vegan Kale and Black Bean Chili recipe that is healthy, hearty and delicious. I could honestly eat chili year round, but it seems like autumn, particularly October, is when everyone else joins me in craving a big bowl of chili. Here’s the thing, my family doesn’t eat much meat and chili can get boring with just beans, tomatoes and peppers. I need a little more oomph and texture in there. That’s where the kale comes into the picture. Bonus: my kids will eat it up and (almost) not say anything about the kale. It’s a win-win.
Vegan Kale and Black Bean Chili Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped kale, packed
- 2 cups cooked black beans (from scratch or canned)
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- pinch ground chipotle, optional
- Garnishes: vegan, sour cream, cilantro, green onions, toasted pepitas
- Heat oil in a 3-quart saucepan. Add the onion and cook over medium heat until softened. Add the garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add the chili powder and ground cumin. Stir and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the crushed tomatoes to the pan and stir well. Bring to a simmer and let cook for 5 minutes for flavors to blend.
- Add the kale and black beans. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes. Taste and add salt, if needed.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with vegan sour cream, cilantro, green onions and toasted pepitas.
Yield: 4 servings