Vegan Spelt Biscuits, Buttery Maple Flavorkathypatalsky
These Vegan Maple Butter Spelt Biscuits are melt-in-your-mouth delicious. Light and crumbly in texture, these biscuits have a nutty, slightly sweet flavor. Top a warm biscuit with vegan buttery spread and a drizzle of maple syrup for a cozy bite. Delicious served with a steaming bowl of vegetable soup or crumbled over top hot chili or stew…
Maple Butter Spelt Biscuits
vegan, makes about 9 large/16 small biscuits
1 cup spelt flour
1 cup white flour (or use all spelt if you prefer)
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp coconut oil, softened
1 stick vegan butter, softened (Earth Balance)
1 1/2 Tbsp maple syrup
2 Tbsp apple sauce, plain soy yogurt, mashed potato or other moist ‘egg replacer’
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 -3/4 cup water or soy milk (until a kneadable texture is achieved)
*extra flour for pressing out dough
*melted vegan butter/maple for brushing
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Combine dry ingredients.
3. Stir in wet ingredients until a dough has formed – dry enough to press out on flat surface.
4. Using a sprinkle of extra flour, press out the dough.
5. Cut circles of dough using a wide glass or biscuit/cookie cutter. Place on greased baking sheet.
6. Brush tops of biscuits with melted vegan butter and maple syrup (optional).
7. Bake for ten minutes at 400 degrees.
8. Serve with vegan butter.
From waffles to sandwiches, check out Babble’s 19 Vegan Recipes your kids will love!