I call these festive Vegan Sugar Cookies my “White Christmas” cookies because they are covered in a creamy, rich real vanilla bean frosting. This is my go-to holiday sugar cookie recipe and I think you will find that it works great for an instant sugar cookie party. You don’t even need to chill the dough before rolling out (although you certainly can chill a bit for an even easier roll out). Stamp out stars, trees and snowflakes galore for this super yummy, classical holiday treat..
Vegan Sugar Cookies
makes 1-2 dozen depending on cutter size
1 cup wheat flour
1 1/4 cups white flour (or use all wheat)
1 1/4 cups sugar (I use a blend of raw and fine, but both work well on their own too)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup safflower oil*
3/4 cup water
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
pinch baking soda
*note: for a more buttery cookie sub 1/4 cup of the oil with 1/4 cup of vegan butter)
Vanilla Bean Frosting
1 whole vanilla bean pod, seeds scraped
6 ounces vegan soy cream cheese
1/2 cup vegan butter, softened (1 stick)
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted for easy, clump-free blending
pinch of salt
Note: frosting recipe makes more frosting that needed for this batch — use leftover for cupcakes or store in fridge for up to one week for use
1. Combine all the frosting ingredients in a food processor — or use a beater or hand mixer. Cream until smooth. Pour into bowl and store in fridge for at least one hour before frosting cookies.
2. Preheat oven to 350.
3. In a large bowl combine the dry cookie ingredients. Fold in the wet ingredients. Add the water in last little by little. Since the ‘wetness’ will change based on the flour you use, only add in as much water as you need to properly roll out the cookies. You can always fix slightly wet sugar cookie dough by adding in a pinch more flour and sugar.
4. You can either quickly roll out the dough on a floured surface and stamp out the cookies. Or for an easier process, chill this dough in the freezer for at least 20 minutes. This will allow it to roll out and form shapes easier.
5. Once stamped and added to a greased baking sheet, bake cookies at 350 degrees for about 8-10 minutes – depending on size of cutters.
6. Allow cookies to fully cool before adding frosting and optional white sprinkles.