When trying to eat more healthfully, many of us (myself included) feel the need to double down and go the austerity route. “I’m going to eat nothing but salad for two weeks,” we might tell ourselves. But the fact is, no matter how satisfying the salad, we all need a little variety in our lives — even when it comes to health food.
That’s where these tasty Vegetable Avocado sandwiches come in. Made with multi-grain bread and a tangy lemon tahini dressing, they’re hearty and delicious enough to leave you sated. In between the lightly toasted slices of bread are layers of winter vegetables — carrot ribbons, steamed golden beet rounds, beet greens, broccoli sprouts, and sliced avocado. Basically a super healthy salad in sandwich form. Enjoy!
Vegetable Avocado Sandwiches with Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, smashed, peeled, and minced
- 1 pinch sea salt, plus more to taste
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 medium-sized golden beets with their greens, scrubbed
- 4 large slices multigrain bread, lightly toasted
- 1 cup sprouts, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 carrot, scrubbed and peeled into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- 1/2 an avocado, sliced
- In a small glass (I found this preferable to a bowl), use a fork to whisk together lemon juice, garlic, and sea salt. Let sit for 10 minutes, then vigorously whisk in the tahini followed by the olive oil. Taste, and adjust salt as needed.
- Slice green from beets, rinse, pat dry, and set aside. Slice beets into 1/4-inch rounds, set in a steam basket (1 inch over boiling water), cover, and steam until tender – about 7 minutes. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and set aside to cool.
- Spread dressing on all 4 slices of bread. On two of the slices, layer beet greens, sprouts, carrot ribbons, steamed beets, and avocado. Top with remaining bread slices, cut sandwiches in half, and serve.