Editor’s Note: Babble is a part of The Walt Disney Company.
Everyone loves a warm plate of lasagna — there’s just something so satisfying about taking a bite of this hearty pasta. Swap out the meat and enjoy a more nutritious version of this beloved dish with our Vegetarian Lasagna recipe.
Filled with vegetables, like carrots and celery, this Italian favorite will allow you to indulge — guilt-free! It’s a recipe so good your kids will eat it right up!
Makes: 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 2 cups yellow onions, chopped
- 6 ripe roma tomatoes, diced
- 3 laurel (bay) leaves
- 8 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated or shredded
- Start with the sauce. Melt your butter in a small saucepan. Then add in 1 cup of milk and whisk.
- Once the milk starts to thicken, add in the flour and whisk until smooth. Add in another cup of milk and whisk until thick. Repeat with remaining milk.
- Sprinkle in pepper and salt, and whisk.
- Now make the lasagna. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a pan, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add in carrots, celery, and onions. Occasionally stir, and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and leaves. Cook for 30 minutes.
- In a pot, cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 7 minutes.
- In a casserole dish, layer four lasagna noodles on the bottom then top with half of the cooked vegetable mix. Be sure to remove the leaves. Then add in half of the white sauce.
- Add another layer of lasagna, vegetable mix, and white sauce. Then sprinkle Parmesan cheese evenly on top.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until crispy and golden.