Served warm, this Chipotle Maple Corn Asparagus Salad is perfect for spring. Toasty maple and chipotle accented nuts fold together with tender spring asparagus and perky sweet corn. This simple salad is filled with amazing flavors. The sweetness from the maple and corn accent the rough chipotle powder and black pepper spices. Some bright apple cider vinegar and Dijon mustard accent as well. Eat this salad as a simple side dish or layer it over top fresh greens as a salad builder. Grab your spring produce and make this salad!..
Warm Chipotle Maple Corn and Asparagus Spring Salad
makes about 4 servings
2 ears fresh corn, kernels shaved off
1 bunch asparagus, chopped into one inch strips
3/4 tsp chipotle powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar + 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard (combined)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup chopped nuts, mixed (roasted salted)
optional: 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast – thickens and adds a rich savory flavor
optional: 2 Tbsp raisins
2 tsp oil for saute (I used safflower)
1. Add oil to saute pan over high heat.
2. Add in the asparagus. Cover with lid and allow to cook for about 1-2 minutes.
3. Lift lid and add in the corn, 1/2 tsp chipotle powder, pepper and salt. Cover with lid again and shake pan to disperse steam and oil.
4. Add in the apple cider vinegar and Dijon mustard mixture. Allow to continue to cook – now uncovered until the liquid has absorbed into the veggies – or steamed off.
5. Toss the nuts in the maple syrup and remaining chipotle powder and then add them to the hot pan. If adding raisins, add them now as well. Toss with the veggies and cook for a minute or so.
6. Do a taste test and make sure the veggies are well seasoned and cooked to a tender state. Try not to over cook.
7. Remove from heat and toss with optional nutritional yeast. Plate and serve.
Read more from Kathy on her blog, Healthy. Happy. Life!
Don’t miss the latest from Family Kitchen – Like Us on Facebook!
More on Family Kitchen: