Nothing says summer like a tasty slice of watermelon. But this dessert only looks like the real thing. These Watermelon Rice Krispie Treats are festive for a hot day, plus, they can be prepared in advance and no refrigeration is required. This pretty watermelon fake-out will be the perfect dessert for your next barbecue.
Watermelon Rice Krispie Treats
adapted from Cooking Classy
Makes: 1 9-inch round “watermelon” (or 6 treats)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 1/2 cups marshmallows
- Red and green food coloring
- 6 cups rice cereal
- 3 teaspoons mini chocolate chips
- Popsicle sticks
- Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper, then set aside.
- For the rind, melt 1 1/2 tablespoons butter in a medium non-stick saucepan over medium heat.
- Add in 2 1/2 cups marshmallows, stirring until they have melted. Remove from heat.
- Add green food coloring, then stir in 2 cups rice cereal until evenly coated.
- Pour into the prepared cake pan, let cool slightly, then spray hands with non-stick cooking spray and press around the outer edge.
- Rinse and dry saucepan for the middle part of the watermelon. Melt 2 1/2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add in the remaining marshmallows, stirring until they have melted. Remove from heat.
- Then add red food coloring and stir in the remaining cereal.
- Repeat step 5, pressing the red portion of the watermelon into the center.
- Let slightly cool, then sprinkle the chocolate chip “seeds” over the middle section (the warmer treats will make the chips stay in place). Then cut into 6 wedges, add popsicle sticks, and enjoy!