On tonight’s Dr. Oz Show, Dr. Joe Mercola was the featured guest, there to discuss the benefits of astaxanthin. In his words, astaxanthin is the” hottest new antioxodant on the market,” indicating that it’s 15-60 times more potent than Vitamin E or Vitamin C in healing cell damage.
The antioxidant is harvested from marine algae. It’s primarily beneficial because of it’s proven anti-inflammatory properties. Dr. Mercola believes the anitoxidant could be used to treat cataracts, cardiovascular disease, arthritis, and potentially prove a powerful agent against cancer.
- Anti-inflammatory properties have proven useful in treating a variety of ailments, from cataracts to cardiovascular disease.
- Astaxanthin has proven promising in the field of cancer research.
- May enhance athletic performance.
- Research demonstrates that astaxanthin is ten times stronger in scavenging free radicals than other carotenoids such as lutein, zeaxanthin, and beta-carotene, and one-hundred times stronger than alpha-tocopherol.
- Astaxanthin has also been shown to prevent low-density lipoprotein oxidation in human blood and enhance the immune system in animal studies.
- Astaxanthin side effects include a drop in blood pressure, hormonal changes, decreased libido and increased skin pigmentation.
- Individuals with immune disorders, asthma, osteoporosis or parathyroid disorders should avoid use of this product.
WHERE TO PURCHASE
Astaxanthin capsules can be purchased from several online websites, including Vitacost.com, where bottles of the antioxidant sell from $8-24. For most products, one tablet per day is an appropriate dietary supplement.