When most of us hear the word yogurt, we picture it with berries for breakfast, or the tangy-sweet froyo piled high with toppings. As great as yogurt is paired with something sweet, it is also the perfect complement to all kinds of savory dishes! Whether you want to make a recipe healthier by substituting yogurt, or just want to add a tangy twist to your dish, this versatile and nutritious ingredient is just as great at the dinner table as it is first thing in the morning!
If you haven’t used yogurt in savory dishes before, a great place to start is this simple yet scrumptious baked chicken. By marinating overnight in a simple yogurt sauce, the chicken becomes tender and delicious. It’s perfect on its own, or to utilize for different meals, like a Greek salad or simmered in an Indian sauce.
Simple Baked Yogurt Chicken
Makes: 2 chicken breasts
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 clove fresh garlic, pushed through a garlic press
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (although you can use other cuts of chicken as well!)
1. Mix yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, pepper, salt, and oil together in a bowl.
2. Tenderize chicken with a fork, or tenderizer. Dip and cover the chicken in the yogurt sauce.
3. Cover and refrigerate the mixture overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
5. Brush or spray a bit of oil in a baking pan and then place the chicken in the pan. Bake for 20-30 minutes until chicken is no longer pink in the middle.
This simple chicken isn’t all yogurt can do in the savory department. Be sure to check out these six delicious yogurt recipes, and try to leave some at the supermarket for the other moms!