Five Things About Shalane Flanagan, The NYC Marathon Runner-Up, Including Her Runner Parents!ToniFitz76
Shalane Flanagan was following in her parents’ footsteps with her incredible finish at the NYC Marathon today literally! Flanagan, who finished second to Edna Kiplagat in her New York marathon debut, is the daughter of two former world-class runners, Cheryl Treworgy and Steve Flanagan.
Her mom, who was known as Cheryl Bridges, held the world record in the marathon in 1971 and ran in the world cross country championships five times. Her dad had a marathon PR of 2 hours, 18 minutes (10 minutes faster than his daughter’s debut) and also competed in the world cross country championships.
Here’s five things about Flanagan:
1. She is from Marblehead, Mass., where she was a three-time all-state cross country runner and state title winner in the mile and two-mile.
2. She also swam and played soccer in high school.
3. She attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where she became the school’s first-ever national cross country titleist (twice, in fact).
4. She won the bronze medal in the women’s 10,000 meters in Beijing two years ago.
5. She’s wanted to run a marathon for years, she said on her blog earlier this year: “I have dreamed about running a marathon since I was a little girl, and I couldn’t be more excited and nervous about taking the ultimate distance runner’s test!”