Remembering Glenn Shadix: Five Things about the Beetlejuice StarMariaLianos
The wheelchair-bound actor who played pretentious interior decorator Otho who communed with the spirits in Tim Burton’s hit film, banged his head after falling and died. He was 58.
“He was having mobility problems, and he was in a wheelchair,” his sister Susan Gagne said. “It looks like he fell and hit his head in the kitchen, and that’s the cause of death.”
However, Shadix’s personal manager Juliet Green says that the cause of his death is still unknown.
Here are five things about the star:
1. Shadix was a regular in Burton films. He was among the cast of “Planet of the Apes” and voiced The Mayor in “The Nightmare Before Christmas 3-D”. He retired from acting in 2006.
2. He played Jerry’s landlord in the NBC television comedy Seinfeld.
3. He was openly gay, and wrote that, as a teenager, he underwent electroconvulsive aversion therapy in an unsuccessful attempt to become straight.
4. After living in L.A. for 3o years, Shadix returned to his native Bessemer, Alabama in 2007 where he purchased a Queen Anne Victorian home. The house was completely destroyed in a fire in December 2008. Shadix told reporters that “I have lost my dream.” The cause of the fire is still under investigation.
5. Shadix had said of Beetlejuice’s cult-film success, “There is a part of me that is not surprised. We had so much fun filming this unusual and so very original movie that I had a feeling something very special was happening.”