Marissa Mayer: 9 Fun Facts About Yahoo!'s Newest CEODevan McGuinness
You know, I have mixed feelings over the news that is spreading all over the internet the past few days. Yahoo! announced that Marissa Mayer has been selected as the new president and CEO of the company — which is amazing news for her. Any time there is a big change in a successful and well-known company press releases go out and the internet is buzzing, but this time it feels a bit bigger.
Maybe it’s because she’s a woman, maybe it’s because she is very well-known for being a power-player at Google or perhaps it has a something to do with the timing of announcing her pregnancy at the same time. I don’t know, but I do know this is ONE SMART lady who I am sure is going to do so well at Yahoo!
She has been known in the business world for a handful of years now for her creative thinking, amazing visions and being the driving force behind many of our most loved Google resources. Still, before the announcement that she was now the new CEO of Yahoo!, not a lot was known about her from us outside the business world, but she is a woman you will want to watch.
Click through to get to know Yahoo!’s newest CEO a little bit better:
1) She’s still young & in love: Marissa is still young. She’s only 37-years-old she has already had a remarkable career with many more years ahead of her. Three years ago she married Zach Brogue.
2) She’s pregnant: On the same day her new job position was announced, she also shared that she is currently expecting her first child! A boy who is due in October of this year.
3) One of the most powerful women: Fortune Magazine has listed Marissa in many of their Most Powerful Women in Business list. She debuted on the listed in 2008 (she was the youngest ever named that year) and she made the list again in 2009, 2010 and 2011
4) Knows artificial intelligence: Marissa is one smart lady holding a Bachelor of Science in Symbiotic Systems and a Master of Science for computer science — specializing in artificial intelligence.
5) A Part of Google: Marissa joined Google in 1999 and was the companies first female engineer
6) Loves a clean look: Marissa is responsible for the clean look of Google, including the much-loved plain white backgrounds and their clean logo.
7) Used to be a teacher: Marissa used to teach at Stanford where she taught computer science to over 3000 students.
8) Respects hard workers: Marissa may be on the top of her field, but she respects other hard workers and sees the value in learning form others. She was quoted during an LA Times interview talking about how she used to work at a local grocery store, “I learned a lot about work ethic from people who had been there for 20 years”
9) Yahoo!’s new CEO: On July 16, 2012 it was announced that Marissa is the new president and CEO of Yahoo! She is excited to join the team saying, “I am honored and delighted to lead Yahoo!, one of the internet’s premier destinations for more than 700 million users. I look forward to working with the Company’s dedicated employees to bring innovative products, content, and personalized experiences to users and advertisers all around the world”
Photo credits: Wikimedia Commons
|Follow @AccustomedChaos on Twitter &
More on Babble: