Tonight's "Teen Choice Awards:" A Parent's Survival GuideToniFitz76
Remember last year’s “Teen Choice Awards,” when awards nominee Miley Cyrus lost her mind and did a pole dance that shocked parents across the country and made them wary of letting their children watch this year’s edition?
Well, rest easy. There were no poles in sight during last night’s ceremony, which airs on taped-delay tonight on Fox at 8 p.m.
If your child is a teen, tween or even a couple years before that (seriously, my preschooler can tell me the plot of the “Twilight” series), they’re going to want to watch the awards
Here’s a survival guide to last night’s show for wary parents.
* If you’re not a fan of vampires, may as well let junior watch by him or herself. Vamp sagas “Twilight” and “The Vampire Diaries” combined to win 19 of the awards, including four for dreamboat Robert Pattinson.
* A point in the show’s favor, at least from an adult perspective: Everyone’s favorite new mom, Sandra Bullock, showed up to accept an award for “The Blind Side,” and she was joined by always-entertaining octogenarian Betty White.
* Disney Channel star Selena Gomez picked up two trophies. Warning, this will probably make your kids want to watch “Wizards of Waverly Place.”
* Talk show host/former “American Idol” judge Ellen DeGeneres also won two awards.
* ABC Family’s “Pretty Little Liars” picked up multiple trophies in its first season. Good; now you can have an excuse for watching the show (call it “screening” for your child and then enjoy it like you did those cheesy Christopher Pike novels back in the day).
* And Kim, Khloe and Kourtney Kardashian won for best reality show for “Keeping Up with the Kardashians.” Also on hand to accept? “Cougar” Kardashian, their little-known older sister. (Really it was comedian George Lopez in drag.)