When it comes to traveling — whether going cross country or on a short car trip to their grandparents’ house — it can be a struggle packing everything you need. How can a kid need so many toys and how in the world is everything going to fit? Luckily, we have a hack that’ll keep the kids happy while making your life a whole lot easier.
Say hello to this DIY Travel Play Mat! It’s an easy craft that uses felt, ribbon, and a dowel to transform an oatmeal container into a fun, kid-friendly activity. Roll out to start playtime and watch your kids’ imaginations run wild. When they’re finished, toss all of the loose toys into the container for a simple cleanup — and you’re ready for anything on the go!
Editor’s Note: Babble participates in affiliate commission programs, including with Amazon, which means that we receive a share of revenue from purchases you make from the links on this page.
DIY Travel Play Mat
- Hot glue gun and glue
- Large oatmeal container
- Wooden dowel (like this from Amazon)
- Cut a long sheet of felt and add hot glue to the left end. Stick the oatmeal container to it and continue to add more glue to the felt, wrapping it around the whole container.
- Cut a dowel rod to fit the height of the felt and add glue to the center. Then fold a piece of ribbon over the glue. Glue the dowel rod to the right end of the felt. Add glue to the rod and wrap the felt around it until it’s completely covered.
- Cut various shapes from felt and arrange into a castle scene on one side of the mat, and a neighborhood scene on the other. Glue to secure shapes.
- Fill the top of the container with assorted toys. Then wrap the play mat up, and tie with the ribbon to secure.