Holiday Crafts for Kids: DIY Ornaments and paper chains for preschoolersJoanne Roehm
Festive Paper Chains and Polymer Clay Ornaments
Festive Paper Chains:
This is an old favorite that is easy for little hands to make and perfect for children of all ages to enjoy in anticipation of the holidays.
Miscellaneous cardstock, construction paper, or wrapping paper, glue or tape, scissors or paper trimmer, embellishments such as stickers, sequins or glitter (optional)
- Count the number of days until the holiday you celebrate
- Cut that number of strips of paper or cardstock 11-12 inches long and 1 inch wide
- Embellish if you wish!
- Link strips together to form a chain and glue or tape
- Hang chain! Remove one link of the chain each day in the lead up to the holidays
Polymer Clay Ornaments:
These ornaments are easy and inexpensive to make and are wonderful gifts to give or keep. Use cookie cutters to make your favorite holiday shapes and characters.
Holiday cookie cutters, polymer clay in a variety of shapes, pencil or pen, ribbon, clear finishing spray (available at craft stores)
- Allow polymer clay to come to room temperature (otherwise it will be too hard for little hands to work with), knead and roll out
- Use cookie cutters to create shapes
- Make hole in top of ornaments with pen or pencil
- Bake according to package directions, then allow to cool
- Spray with finishing spray and allow to dry
- Tie ribbon through ornament to hang