5 Ways to Save on Dental Care Even Without InsuranceHeather Sokol
Every year when summer camp rolls around, I remember it’s time for the girls’ annual checkups. It’s back-to-school and picture time that has me calling the dentist. I want clean, shiny teeth. You know, right before they spend Halloween and Christmas getting all sugared up!
That’s when I start worrying about cavities. Not only are they painful for the kids, but the treatment is just as painful on the budget! The tween had two last year, and even with insurance it cost us a pretty penny. I’ve come up with a few tricks for keeping our costs down, as well as some ways to cover dentists even without dental insurance.
- Preventative Care: Take good care of your teeth and completely avoid the high cost of treatments. Brushing, flossing, and rinsing twice each day provides cavity protection. You should also avoid fruit snacks and juice, which are a frequent source of cavities.
- Dental Schools: Find a dental school in your area for significant discounts on cleanings, x-rays, and procedures. You’ll receive student dental care under the strict supervision of faculty members. It’s just like a teaching hospital. For your teeth.
- Skip Unnecessary Treatments:When the tween had her first filling last year, I found out our insurance would not cover the gas the dentist wanted to use. For the price, I decided she could tough it out just like we did as kids. That girl was totally brave, said it didn’t hurt at all, and saved me $60! We also don’t do fluoride treatments at every visit. Take a look at the treatment plan, then decide for yourself what you’re willing to pay for.
- Cash Discount: There are a lot of administrative costs eaten up in insurance claims. Let the office manager know you plan to pay cash, and ask about a discount. Most are willing to work with you a bit.
- Daily Deal Sites: If you use Groupon for family fun activities and restaurants, you are going to love to savings on services like spas, teeth cleaning, and braces. Just last week, an orthodontist in our area offered an Invisalign deal! Keep an eye on your favorite daily deal sites for dental care offers near you.
I received products from Johnson & Johnson as part of my participation in the LISTERINE® Kids Cavity-Free School Year Program. All thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are my own. Click here to see more of the discussion.
More from Inexpensively:
Daily Deal Sites: Not Just for Restaurant Discounts
The Way You Pack Your Lunch Can Save Even More Money
More on Babble.com:
20 Creative and Inexpensive Soap Dispensers You Can DIY