Sometimes decorating for Halloween is the last item on your to-do list. So instead of spending money on expensive decor, why not repurpose those leftover wine bottles for a fun craft?
These DIY Halloween Wine Bottles are an easy way to make this holiday’s decor stand out from all the houses on the block. From a chalkboard spiderweb and black cat, to a smiling jack-o-lantern, there are lots of fun ways to upcycle empty bottles.
DIY Halloween Wine Bottles
- Painter’s tape
- Wine bottles
- Black, orange, and green acrylic paint
- Chalkboard paint
- Disposable bowls or plates
- Assorted paint brushes
- Semi-gloss acrylic sealer
- White chalk and pen
Black Cat Directions
- For the black cat: Draw a cat outline on a plain piece of paper. Cut out to create a stencil.
- Tape the stencil onto the wine bottle. Keep it as flat and stable as possible.
- Put some black paint in the bowl, then paint inside the cat stencil. It should take 2-3 coats. Let the paint dry between each layer, and overnight to dry completely.
- Remove the stencil.
- Add whiskers and an eye with the white chalk pen.
- Cover painted areas with acrylic sealer.
- Place painter’s tape on the base of the wine bottle neck, create two big triangles for eyes, a smaller triangle for the nose, and the teeth and mouth shape. (It’s helpful to cut up the pieces of tape to make the angles easier.)
- Put orange paint in bowl. Use the large brush to paint over the tape and around the bottle, except for the top. Paint 2-3 coats. Let the paint dry between each layer.
- Put green paint in a bowl, and use the smaller brush to paint above the painter’s tape. Add 2-3 coats. Let it dry between each layer.
- Let the bottle dry completely overnight.
- Remove the painter’s tape, and cover painted areas with acrylic sealer.
Chalkboard Spiderweb Directions
- Put painter’s tape above the top of the bottle.
- Use the large brush to paint the bottle with chalkboard paint. Apply 2 coats. Let the paint dry between each layer, and overnight to dry completely.
- Remove the painter’s tape.
- Use the chalk and chalk pen to draw the web around the bottle.