Enter to win our giveaway below!
Brian McCarty is an artist and photographer known for his unique style of incorporating toys into real-life settings — everywhere from exotic locales to war zones. But thankfully, McCarty didn’t have to risk his life for his latest creations.
After being asked by Disney to reimagine the worlds of iconic Disney princesses, McCarty set to work making that happen. After choosing three princesses who most embody courage, strength, and bravery — Merida from Brave, Rapunzel from Tangled, and Tiana from The Princess and the Frog — McCarty replaced their animated bodies with dolls and placed them amongst intricately crafted set designs. The results are, quite simply, stunning.
Take Merida, seen atop her horse Angus, racing through the woods with bow in hand. Her gorgeous red mane, flowing in the wind. At first glance it looks like a still from the movie — straight from the geniuses at Disney Animation. But in actuality, the elements in this image are real; tangible pieces perfectly staged together to make the scene quite literally come to life.
Of course, the process to create such breathtaking images, McCarty explained to Yahoo Movies, was anything but simple.
A longtime Disney fan, McCarty had been familiar with all the movies involved, but in order to make all the tiny elements come together, he re-watched the scenes “dozens of times.” He asked himself, “What were [the princesses] feeling? Where were the circumstances that led them to this turning point in their lives? Why were these moments so important?” And he went from there, making sure there was meaning behind his every choice.
But lest you think McCarty singlehandedly made these characters come to life, he’s quick to credit the team that helped him behind the scenes.
“Once the project got past the concept stage, it took a team of brilliant artists and artisans to make it happen,” McCarty explained of the process. From the moss-covered rocks under Angus’ hooves to the individually strung lanterns lighting the way for Rapunzel and Flynn, each tiny detail was painstakingly reproduced over the course of hundreds of hours.
“I went frame-by-frame through the movies to see every angle of the sets,” McCarty continued, “and gave general direction on what needed to be built, and they ran with it. It was magical seeing the finished pieces.”
This series, made in support of Disney’s “Dream Big, Princess” campaign, was put on display for the first time at New York’s Toy Fair in February and has left mouths open in awe ever since.
The best part? Now you can take a bit of the magic home with you, because Babble is giving away one full set of all 11 (!) Hasbro Disney Princess Royal Shimmer Dolls, as seen in McCarty’s images. For more information on how to enter and for full contest rules, see below.
Babble is giving away one (1) full set of eleven (11) Hasbro Disney Princess Royal Shimmer Dolls, which retails at $110, to one lucky winner! The set includes Ariel, Aurora, Belle, Cinderella, Jasmine, Merida, Mulan, Pocahontas, Rapunzel, Snow White, and Tiana. To enter for your chance to win, all you have to do is tell us, in one sentence, how have the Disney Princesses and their stories inspired your child to dream big?
Sweepstakes ends April 8th, 2016.
To enter, click “see comments” below this post. You must include “#BabbleDreamBigSweepstakes” within your Facebook Comment. Get the full details on this awesome sweepstakes below, and get commenting!
- NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Void where prohibited. Odds of winning will depend on the total number of eligible entries received. See the complete General Rules and eligibility requirements that apply to all Sweepstakes here.
- To enter, click “see comments” below this post, and leave a Facebook Comment telling us in one sentence, how have the Disney Princesses and their stories inspired your child to dream big? You must include “#BabbleDreamBigSweepstakes” within your Facebook Comment.
- Only 1 entry per person is allowed.
- The Sweepstakes entry period starts on Monday, March 21th, 2016 at 15:00:01 PM EST and ends on, Friday April 8th, 2016 at 14:59:59 PM EST.
- The retail value of the prize for this sweepstakes is $110 (US).
- We will choose a potential winner in a random drawing on or around, Monday April 11th , 2016 and send notice to that person by replying to your comment on Facebook. (You will get a notification on Facebook if we have replied.) If you are a potential winner but fail to claim your prize within 10 days of us sending you notice or are otherwise in non-compliance with the Sweepstakes rules (both General Rules and these Specific Rules), then we will choose an alternate winner.
- We will announce the winner here on or around Friday, April 22nd, 2016 at 3:00 PM EST. By entering, you give us permission to include your first name (or the name provided on your Facebook account) in our winner announcement.