Editor’s Note: This post contains spoilers from season one of This Is Us.
Tuesdays mean only one thing in my world: It’s This Is Us day.
The kids could literally be climbing the walls of their bedrooms or painting the ceiling with nail polish; gallons of my secret stash of ice cream could be getting devoured right before my eyes, and I wouldn’t notice. It’s the one time during the week when I become completely and utterly lost in something. It captivated me from the first moment I
fell in love with saw Jack and from then on, I (like the rest of the world) became so emotionally invested in the entire cast.
To honor my all-time favorite show, I thought it would only be appropriate to make a running list of the 27 thoughts that every mom (including myself) has while watching This is Us. So, here goes:
- Starts early bedtime four days prior. Still worries if she will have enough time to emotionally prepared herself for a new episode.
- Repeats mantra, I’m not going to cry this time, I’m not going to cry this time.
- Two minutes in: *sobbing*
- Husband looks quizzically at you while while you blow your nose … into a blanket.
- You angry-whisper to him between sobs: “Have you no soul?!”
- Fully aware Jack Pearson is a fake character, who also happens to be fake dead, but still have a major mom crush on him.
- Really, really wants to like Miguel. Really, really tries to like Miguel. Still begrudges Miguel for not being Jack. #therecanonlybeonejackpearson
- OK, warming up to Miguel after that speech. Hey, when will I become the parent who can casually sip tea and impart wisdom onto my children?
- Most relatable moment (so far) from the whole show? The scene where Rebecca is standing in front of the freezer, huge and pregnant, screaming at her husband for no good reason. #beenthere
- Are those? Those aren’t. Tell me it can’t be … DUCKS!! Great, now for all time, I will never be able to see ducks without feeling sad.
- When do we get to hear Kate sing again? Seriously, WHEN?!
- This show gets that the anxiety struggle is real. And that’s a beautiful thing.
- Am I the only one that’s still a little, teensy bit sad that Beth’s pregnancy test was negative? You know, way back when?
- Is it wrong that I foresee a time in the future when I am doubting myself, only to hear in my head, “YOU ARE JACK PEARSON’S SON”?
- Well, if it’s wrong, I don’t want to be right.
- That episode diving into Jack and Rebecca’s marriage? Ooof. Scheduling a date night with my husband ASAP. I appreciate you honey, I really do. Especially when you let me have this hour alone to enjoy my show in peace. Seriously. You can leave me alone right now. Go away!
- I can’t figure Toby out. Is his confidence an enviable trait we should all try to emulate, or is it a front for what is really a deep and wounded soul? I’m leaning towards the latter, and it just makes me want to hug him.
- Speaking of men who I can’t figure out … Kevin! Man, get it together!! What any parent wouldn’t trade for your free time and income. (Sigh)
- Is that a kid I hear on the steps?
- [Internally screams] “THIS IS MOMMY’S SPECIAL TIME, GET YOUR ASS BACK IN BED, KID!”
- [Actually says, through gritted teeth] “What’s wrong sweetie? Do you need some water?”
- OK, I know Mandy Moore didn’t actually go through a pregnancy, but I’m still kinda envious of her post-baby figure.
- Part of me wants to know what happened to Jack, but the other part of me is too scared to find out. What if it’s something awful? What if he died cheating on Rebecca? What if he drinks himself into oblivion? My heart just can’t take it.
- I am torn about Rebecca’s tour. On one hand, I get it. Girl, you deserve it! You need a husband who supports your goals in life. But, on the other hand, please don’t leave! Jack’s heart is breaking. He loves you. I just have a bad feeling about all of this. Sometimes a mother just knows.
- This whole family is so messy and imperfect — stumbling around in so many ways. But they are real (well, “fake” real, but you know what I mean). And they truly love each other. That’s why we love them.
- Is it next week yet?