As moms, we all know the importance of a Ladies Night Out. It’s our chance to unwind, reconnect with our friends, and remember who we were before our kids came along (and made life crazy). And that’s precisely the premise of the new record-breaking summer comedy, Girls Trip.
In it, single mom Lisa (played by Jada Pinkett-Smith) reunites with her three lifelong friends for a kid-free getaway and is desperately looking to rediscover her inner wild child. Thankfully, she has one friend in particular whose side-splitting antics help get her there: her bestie Dina, played by the HILARIOUS Tiffany Haddish.
Dina’s an amusing tornado of raunchy, over-the-top fun who loves to tell it like it is and go the extra mile for the ladies she loves. And it seems Haddish is equally as charming in real life as her on-screen character — hence why I’ve become borderline obsessed with her (along with the rest of the Internet) in the last week.
Allow me to share just some of the many reasons why in my dream world, Haddish and I would be total besties …
1. She’s so funny that Jimmy Kimmel let her share a 7-minute-long party story on his show.
And OMG if you haven’t yet seen it, please press play immediately because it’s hysterical — and features a cameo by Will Smith.
2. She’s a fearless trivia game player.
While swinging by the show Animal Nation with Anthony Anderson, Haddish showed she had some serious knowledge about Earth’s many creatures. (Did you know the world’s largest animal was the blue whale?)
3. She steals just about every Girls Trip scene she’s in, especially that now-infamous “grapefruit” scene that no one can stop talking about.
Let’s just say … you can hear all about it right here. (Just make sure the kids aren’t around.)
4. She had a longtime dream of working with Jada Pinkett Smith and spent 19 years hustling until it finally happened.
“I wrote that wish list, and I wrote that I wanted to work with Jada Pinkett Smith and Will Smith,” she told People, adding that she especially wanted to show the actress her homemade prom dress that was made “to look just like Jada Pinkett’s dress when her and Will Smith first hit the red carpet together.”
5. She’s one awesome auntie to her adorable niece.
I mean, how cute is this?!
6. She’s bravely overcome family tragedy, the foster care system, and even homelessness — and she’s not afraid to talk about it.
When she was nine, Haddish’s mother was involved in a traumatic accident that triggered schizophrenia. “I remember the day my mom came out the hospital,” Haddish recently shared with the Breakfast Club. “The doctor pulled me to the side and said, ‘Look, she’s never gonna be the person that she was — it’s time for you to grow up now.'”
7. She’s been a standup comedian for nearly two decades and never shies away from the grittiest humor.
Please take a moment to check her out in this very NSFW clip from 2010, in which she discusses getting her first bikini wax.
8. Her character in Girls Trip is that crazy, party animal friend every mom still secretly wants and needs — and she brings her to life gloriously.
“There’s a lot of things she says that remind me of myself, but then there’s a lot of things that she does that I would probably never do,” Haddish told Vanity Fair. “I imagine Dina as myself times 10.”
9. Her fingernail fashion game is on POINT.
10. She once challenged Chance the Rapper to a freestyle rap battle — in Japanese!
11. Her Girls Trip co-stars cannot say enough nice things about her — so you know she’s the real deal.
“She’s hilarious,” Queen Latifah said on Jimmy Fallon. “Watch her, she’s gonna be massive.”
12. She doesn’t put on any airs and is totally cool with sharing all her “hot mess” moments.
Which makes her Instagram a total treasure trove of hilarity.
13. She’s an inspiration to any kid who’s ever been bullied.
“I was getting beat up and being made fun of all of the time,” she told The Huffington Post. “They used to be so mean to me, and I used to cry. Then I watched Who Framed Roger Rabbit one day, and the detective asked the rabbit, ‘Why are all of these people doing nice things for you?’ He goes, ‘Because I make them laugh. If you make them laugh, people will do anything for you.”
And that’s when her career in comedy really began.
14. She’s got all the best stories.
“When I was 21, [a guy] cheated on me on videotape,” Haddish recently told USA Today. “He didn’t have no nice car, he didn’t own a house, [but] he had a pair of brand new Jordans, [so] I pooped in them.”
Want more where that came from? She’s releasing a memoir this December called The Last Black Unicorn, and I’m pretty sure it’s going to be comedy gold.
15. She throws super cool tea parties.
I mean, just check out her last one …
16. She knows how to spontaneously drop a beat with pal Queen Latifah.
One word: AMAZING.
17. She has excellent taste in vacuums.
Who doesn’t love a good Shark vac?
18. She’s had many real-life besties with friendships spanning over 20 years — and if that doesn’t speak to her character, I don’t know what does.
“My oldest friendship is 26 years,” she told Metro. “We don’t talk every day, but we check in with each other every two, three months. Parties, birthdays are super important. Somebody having a stressful time, we’re there for each other. Just because you got a man or whatever doesn’t mean you forget about your girls.”
19. She works her damn butt off.
“They sent me the script [for Girls Trip], and I read it, and I thought, ‘Aw, man, this is me.'” Haddish told NBC. “I sent it to my team, telling them, ‘You’ve gotta get me into this movie.’ They said the team making the film was looking for a name, so I said, ‘I’ve had a name since I was born.’ They let me come in and audition, so I auditioned four times and I got the part.”
And that folks, is how you become an A-List star.
20. She’s not afraid to be real — and we all know that’s what really makes a great BFF.
I rest my case.