I can’t believe it’s almost back to school already! There is so much to to prepare before their big day back. The kids need all kinds of supplies, and honestly that was always my favorite part of back to school, too. I loved getting new folders and a new backpack.
But I can’t even imagine how thrilled I would be if I was able to help my mom make my new supplies! Customizing the items with patterns, paints and fabrics? I would have most likely been found bragging to my new classmates that my supplies were better than theirs.
And a huge bonus for you parents, doing a few back to school DIYs will not only make your kiddos thrilled, but it will make your wallet happy too. Who doesn’t love saving money? Most of these clever back to school DIYs will save you some major bucks and the idea of being able to customize it (hello, extra pocket in my backpack!) to be exactly what you want and need.
Here are 25 awesome back to school DIYs you have to try. Trust me. Your kids will love them and I am guessing that you will too!
1. DIY Patterned Backpack: Maybe the cutest little backpack ever. Little ones would love it.
2. Covered Pencils: Your pencils need a little something extra … how about some washi tape?
3. Embroidered Notebook: Those plain brown notebooks are perfect for decorating. I love this geometric embroidered one.
4. Notebook Jackets: Something to cover up any unsightly notebooks you may have.
5. DIY Pencil Case: Pencil bags are so helpful. I still have one!
6. Crayon Roll: This craft is so much fun! Your kids will love it.
7. Garland: Make the first day of school special with a banner! Yours can say something like “hooray!” or something else equally enthusiastic.
8. Paint Sample Calendar: Keep all of your kids’ schedules straight and your sanity in tact with a new (and pretty!) calendar!
9. Milk Jug Lunch Boxes: These containers are so cool. A great way to recycle and make something useful!
10. Polka Dotted Lunch Bag: I’m a little bit in love with this lunch bag. Can I have one, please?
11. Reusable Sandwich Bags: Forget all those plastic sandwich bags, make your own fabric ones! Just be sure your kids don’t toss them out.
12. Pencil Sharpeners: Personalize some of these useful tools for your little ones. They will love it.
13. Printable Bookplates: A great way to keep track of their books.
14. Neon Pens: Take some plain jane pends and make them something fun to use! All the colors are awesome!
15. Colorful Hangers: You can help them keep their closets straight with some brightly hued hangers.