With summer arriving faster than our kids can scream “School’s out for summer,” we have been scrambling around to finish our spring cleaning. (Let’s face it: there are way too many rooms to cleanse even while being in full on terminator-cleaning mode.) While everyone in the office was comparing the various cleaning products and methods used, there was an overall discussion on how toxic many of the ingredients are in these cleaning products.
Even though we all love cleaning products — they get rid of germs, disinfect the counters, and make your house feel like a model home, there is surprisingly a whole lot happening in those little bottles. The EWG states “unlike manufacturers of cosmetics and personal care products, companies that make cleaning products are not required to list the ingredients they put in their formulations on the package …” meaning bottles and bottles of toxicity people!
Armed with this new information we decided to go on the hunt to find safer alternatives for you to clean your kitchen with. After all, it’s one of the dirtiest rooms in the house, and needs to be spic and span for all the cooking and eating.
We found a bunch of awesome DIY cleaners that are kid- and eco-friendly! These homemade kitchen cleaners are guaranteed to induce shock and awe from your MIL or just the next lucky guest to enter your house:
1. Liquid Kitchen Soap: Making your own homemade liquid soap is considered by many to be the easiest and most natural recipe you can do! If you are new to this whole “crunchy mom” thing, this is the tutorial for you.
2. All-Purpose Kitchen Cleaner: This kitchen cleaner smells citrusy and amazing because of the special ingredient … orange peels! It’s an effective and safe cleaner for daily use, which we may or may not admit to smelling regularly.
3. Garbage Disposal Tablets: Did you know that you should be cleaning your garbage disposal? We weren’t aware of this either until a horrible smell began to permeate in our kitchen. Our team found this helpful recipe and things have completely changed. What’s great about the tutorial is that you can make a batch to freeze and use each week … or day.
4. Coconut Oil Stainless Steel Cleaner: Is there no end to the magical uses of coconut oil? Seriously, this stainless steel cleaner is perfect for the mom-on-the-go and is a fast way to wipe down your appliances!
5. Dishwasher Detergent: Don’t think we could ever forget about the dreaded dishwasher. Since the family is eating off the plates, drinking from the glasses, and using the silverware, ensuring that the cleaning agent is toxic-free is pretty important! We love this money-saving and lemony smelling recipe.More On