When we first moved out of Manhattan for suburban life, one of the things I was most excited about was decorating our house for Christmas. I’d dreamed about it for years. Wreaths on the windows, lights outside on the trees, and a tree that was taller than I was. Finally we had a place that had enough room to let my imagination run wild for the holiday decor.
We found our dream home, but one thing that was lacking was a fireplace. My vision of those cold winter nights with the fire going and the stockings hanging on the mantle weren’t going to happen. While it took me a while to get over it, I found there were other ways to enjoy our stockings. No mantle? No problem!
Here’s an easy DIY way to hang your stockings as well as some other ideas that will make a great addition to your holiday decor.
- Long birch wood log (any long log will do, but birch is such a staple during the holiday season)
- Durable wire
- Picture frame hanging hooks with nails
- Accessories to wrap around log for added decor (this is optional, but I added wired lights and wired jingle bells)
- Jute rope
- Use a level to draw a faint line on your wall where you want to hang the log, to make sure it’s straight.
- Using a hammer, nail in the picture frame hanging hooks. I used three for my log, one on each end and one in the middle for support.
- Take the wire and wrap it tightly around the hook part of the hanging hook.
- Take the other end of the wire and wrap around the log to hang it on the wall.
- Wrap the other end of the wire to the hook to secure the log.
- Repeat for rest of hanging hooks until the log is secure on the wall.
- Take your accessories and wrap them around the log.
- Loop the jute rope through the loop in each stocking and tie around the log.
- Admire your new stockings that are hanging without any mantle required!
If this isn’t your style, check out these other great alternatives for hanging stockings:
1. Festive Pinecone Garland
I love the way this pinecone garland appears to hold the stockings above the fireplace. Such a natural and festive look. (via Where My Heart Resides)
2. A Simple Coatrack
An unlikely place for stockings that works so well. A simple coat rack can make an easy way to hang stockings. (via Jenna Sue Design)
3. A Curtain Rod
If you’ve got curtains hanging in your house, you’ve already got a place to hang those stockings. Love this idea! (via Rain on a Tin Roof)
4. Old Wooden Ladder
An old wooden ladder gives a great vertical look for hanging your stockings. (via Love in a Mason Jar)
5. Indoor Railings
Add some fresh garland to your railing and attach the stockings for a subtle and natural look. (via Jeanne Oliver Designs)
6. Garland and Twig Display
Garland and twigs hanging not only make for a great work of art on the wall during the holidays, but an even better place to hang your stockings. (via Numbered Street Designs)
7. DIY Wooden Stocking Hangers
Give your stockings a rustic look with these easy DIY wooden stocking hangers. (via Remodelaholic)
8. Reindeer Coat Rack
Buffalo plaid and reindeer hooks make for an easy DIY and a festive way to add color to your wall and hang your stockings. (via I Heart Nap Time)More On