Like most children, my daughter finds just as much, if not more, entertainment playing with a cardboard box rather than the toy or gift that was inside. And for that very reason, we hang onto the really good ones for rainy day activities.
Sometimes they become forts or trains but this week, in anticipation of Finding Dory, we whipped out the paints for a little underwater creativity. I surprised my daughter with the cardboard cutout costume after school one day and we swam right through suppertime. But feel free to let the kiddos do the painting and see what wild fish they create!
DIY Dory Costume
- Blue foam board or large cardboard box
- Scissors or x-acto knife
- Yellow, black, dark and light blue, and white paint
- Sketch Dory’s shape on the backside of the foam board or cardboard.
- Use an x-acto knife or scissors to cut out the shape.
- If you’re using cardboard, paint the whole fish blue.
- Cut a small fin shape in the middle of the fish and gently bend upwards (this will be the arm hole).
- Use the paints to color her fin, scales, tail, and eyeball.
- To wear, place your arm through the fin hole and remember to just keep swimming!
Get the unforgettable adventure of Disney Pixar’s Finding Dory on Digital HD, Disney Movies Anywhere & Blu-ray.