I’ve always loved party crowns and birthday hats! They are a simple way to make your child feel special on their big day. I’m currently obsessed with the marble and copper trends and thought it would be fun to combine the two, to create a modern party crown that is perfect for stylish littles! This DIY Marbled Crown would be an amazing accessory for a chic Where the Wild Things Are party or even a luxurious garden-themed birthday with lush greenery!
DIY Marbled Crown
- Baking pan
- Shaving cream
- Food coloring
- Small paintbrush
- 12 x 12” card stock (8.5 x 11” for a younger child)
- Glue gun & glue
- Painter’s tape
- Leafing adhesive
- Copper leaf sheets
- Cover the bottom of the baking pan with shaving cream. Add drops of food coloring. (I chose black for this, but you can use any color you wish!) Swirl the drops around using the non-bristle end of the paintbrush. Be careful not to completely mix the dye with the shaving cream — the bigger the difference between the two colors the better. Then place your card stock face down in the baking dish, pressing evenly for the best coverage.
- Use your ruler to scrape the shaving cream off of the card stock. This will create a marbled look. Repeat this process until you’ve covered the card stock and reached your desired look. Let dry.
- Once completely dry (allow at least 30-45 minutes), fold the card stock in half and trace a crown pattern. You will want to do this on the non-marbled side. You will then cut out your crown shape. I flipped mine over to the marbled side so you can see the beginnings of this fun party accessory. You will end up with two pieces of equal length that you can piece together and later trim to fit your little’s head.
- Connect the two pieces using a hot glue gun.
- Tape off near the bottom of the crown to create a band. Using the paintbrush, add the leafing adhesive between the two pieces of tape. Let this dry for a bit until it feels tacky. Add your copper leaf sheets, pressing down firmly over the adhesive. You will see that one sheet of this stuff goes a long way!
- Once you’ve allowed the copper leaf to dry for 10-15 minutes, slowly remove the painter’s tape to reveal your copper detail.
- Measure the crown on your child’s head and trim accordingly. Being sure to line up your copper band, hot glue the two ends together. And there you have it — a gorgeous marble party crown with fun copper details.