My daughter Annabelle’s favorite stuffed animal is a unicorn we used in sleep training. She was obsessed with the toy — it quickly became her nighttime companion. We are pretty sure unicorns are my daughter’s spirit animal, so it seemed only fitting to have a rainbow unicorn theme for her 1st birthday party.
Annabelle loved all of the bright colors, sparkle, and rainbow-themed fruit. And our guests loved getting in on the fun by wearing colorful outfits. Honestly, who wouldn’t smile seeing all things unicorn and rainbow?
So, here are some easy tips, DIY projects, recipes, and sparkly purchases to help throw a magical rainbow unicorn party!
Editor’s Note: Babble participates in affiliate commission programs, including with Amazon, which means that we receive a share of revenue from purchases you make from the links on this page.
Let’s be honest, who doesn’t love a good photo booth at a party? It’s a perfect activity for all ages, a fun photo souvenir from the celebration, and it adds a lot of “pretty” to a room!
- 2 stick-on hooks
- White rope
- Curtain for backdrop
- Different colored fabrics, cut into strips
- White pillow stuffing
- Safety pins
- Mount hooks to the wall. Then tie a thin rope onto one hook, thread it through the backdrop curtain pocket, and tie it to the other hook.
- Take a long piece of white rope and start tying on strips of fabric in alternating colors, to create a rainbow fabric garland.
- Start fluffing your white pillow stuffing to make clouds, then attaching them to your backdrop fabric with safety pins.
- Then attach the garland to the wall. (Since it’s a little heavy, don’t attach it to your backdrop fabric because it will cause things to sag.)
A photo booth isn’t complete without props! There are millions of cute unicorn headbands on Etsy, so find a few that you like. Then use your computer to print out fun phrases like, “Unicorn Selfie,” “99% Unicorn,” or “Unicorn Gang.” Tape those signs onto any stick you have laying around (chopsticks do the trick) — and voila!
Have fun with it!
Dip pretzel rods in chocolate and sprinkles.
And do the same with marshmallows to look like clouds.
One of the biggest crowd-pleasers? Fruity Pebble Rice Krispie Treats!
A rainbow assortment of fruit juices does the trick here. You can also get cups in a variety of colors and the cutest unicorn straws from Target!
Offer a rainbow of fruits and veggies, and skewer your food to keep the unicorn horn theme going!
Here are some simple ideas that will really jazz up your event:
- Unicorn piñata centerpiece
- Personalized welcome sign
- Gold unicorns: made from spray painting horses gold and gluing on a gold pipe cleaner!
- Store-bought is not a dirty word. Supplement the items you’re making with food from the grocery store!
- Outsource by asking friends or family to bake, so you won’t be pooped out by the time the party starts.
- Plan ahead by setting up the photo booth and tables, and making desserts a few days prior.
- Assign a friend to capture the party — you won’t regret it!
Most importantly, have fun with it all! And go ahead and face-plant into a little cake yourself — you deserve it!