Have you heard about the gel manicure kit at Sephora? They teamed up with OPI to create an at-home manicure solution for any woman who doesn’t have the time (or money) to head to the salon every two weeks.
The price is on the hefty side — especially for something that may or may not work — so I took it for a test drive during my recent trip to Sephora.
So…would I buy it?
YES. Here’s why:
- $160 is a good chunk of money, but the manicure kit truly does pay for itself in four uses (considering a gel manicure is typically $30-ish).
- It’s hard to find enough time to fully dry my nails (without having to pour a drink or open a package or pick up toys), and this gel manicure dries within seconds. And not that I-think-it’s-dry-but-I-wake-up-with-pillow-creases-on-my-nails dry. I’m talking real, solid, not-going-to-smudge dry.
- Nail polish typically chips within two days, yet this gel manicure lasted a solid two weeks without any chips or cracks. In fact, I peeled off my polish (which, by the way, they don’t recommend doing) because my nails were growing out so much — not because they were chipped.
- Although the kit comes with a color of your choice, and even though they have over 15 different OPI gel colors that you can buy, you technically can use any nail polish under a nude gel colour polish (which comes with the kit). They don’t guarantee as much longevity, and it can certainly take some trial-and-error to figure out the proper ratio, but it can be done.
- You can also use acetone to take off the gel manicure, rather than buy the refill of gel-polish remover.
- It’s really, really, really easy to use. And fast! Did I mention how fast? Just paint on your color, pain on your Gel Colour seal, and stick your hand underneath the LED lights for 30 seconds.
- Unlike salon gel manicures, there’s no need to buff down your nail — which is much, much healthier for you.
- It comes with everything you need, including the polishes (base coat, top coat, and color), gelshine LED light machine, nail pads, nail wraps, nail cleanser, polish remover, cuticle oil, a cuticle pusher, a buffing box, and gloves.
And if you don’t want to spend the money right now, Christmas is ‘a coming.
Buy the Gelshine manicure kit from Sephora.
And check out Natalie’s DIY tutorial on Gel Manicures!
Read more of Michelle’s writing at Early Mama.