I started blogging about one year ago (April 2011) and before that I’d had very little exposure to blogs. Then I started blogging and I just wrote and I didn’t read much. (I read books and the news, obviously, but I had no idea there were so many blogs out there.) I really had no idea there were so many talented writers plodding away in the blogsphere.
When I hit a nerve in December 2011 with a little post I wrote about my Elf on the Shelf. The rest, as they say, is history. Suddenly, I was caught up in the blogging world. I had bloggers writing me and asking me if they could guest post on my blog or could I guest post on theirs. Could I sell this product or review that product? I didn’t know where to begin or what to do. So, I started reading blogs: popular blogs, unknown blogs, well-written blogs, poorly-written blogs, even a blog written from the perspective of an advice giving cat. I wanted to see how everyone else handled these requests.
In that year I have found so many interesting and wonderful blogs. I found lots of blogs that are perfect for family and friends to read. These are blogs that give you updates on the kids and pictures of them blowing bubbles at the park. Sort of a virtual scrapbook. They win awards like “Cutest Blog on the Block.” I found way too many blogs dedicated to the memories of children that have passed. I spent many nights sitting at my computer crying over those. I found several blogs that were full of giveaways and sweepstakes and product reviews for mops and diaper pails. They always want your personal information and for you to follow them on Twitter. I found way, way, way too many style, party, craft and event planning blogs – although, they are always good for a laugh. I even found a few great blogs with book reviews that have come in handy.
What I couldn’t find were funny blogs. Humor blogs. Not stuff like Ihazcheeseburger or whatever that site is called. I mean real humor. I’m talking about stuff like the grande dame of all funny bloggers: The Blogess. Funny writers (preferably a mom, but not necessary) who could write witty, pithy, gut-busting anecdotes about their lives. Apparently, I am not the only one. My friend Leslie (AKA The Bearded Iris) sent me an email this week from a blogging conference she was attending. She was dismayed over a conversation she had with a potential advertiser. He told her he’d never heard of a humor blog! Never heard of them? Ack! It’s my worst nightmare come true.
Lucky for you (and this advertiser), I have cobbled together a list of my favorite humor (who happen to all be moms I think) blogs that I have discovered this year. You won’t find a montage of beautiful Instagram-ed cupcake photos with simple captions on these blogs or a product review for $400 wedge sandals that everyone “must have” this summer or a delightful DIY teacher gift.
Nope, just sit down with a cup of your favorite beverage and about a half hour and enjoy these hilarious chicks. I am not responsible for the damage done to your electronics when you spit your drink out from laughing, so enjoy at your own risk.
My 10 Favorite Funny (Mom) Blogs (in alphabetical order – we funny people are a bit neurotic and get very worried about our placement on lists)
1. Divine Secrets of a Domestic Diva – Susan is one of the few bloggers out there I have found who can be funny and still woo sponsors. (Who else can put Crayola and penis in the same post?) She also wears a lot of Spandex and rollerskates, that will NEVER happen on my blog.
2. Frugalistablog – “Frugie” as I like to call her is really Rebecca. She is the antithesis of me: a fashionable socialite-type. Because of this, she can make high tea with her family funny.
3. Let Me Start By Saying – Kim has a way of turning everyday things on their head. For instance, she likes to compare parenting to clubbing in New York City and her list actually makes sense.
4. Parenting. Illustrated With Crappy Pictures – Amber can bring a crappy picture to life like nobody’s business. Her stories are simple, but so familiar to us all – who hasn’t been mesmerized by the Target “eye” before?
5. People I Want to Punch in the Throat – Is it tacky to put you own blog on the list? Screw it, it’s my list.
6. Moms Who Drink and Swear – I’ll admit, the title of the blog lured me in, but Nikki’s…uhhh…bold style keeps me there. I think she drops as many f-bombs as I do. And did you hear? She just got a book deal.
7. Robin’s Chicks – Robin has that southern Steel Magnolia’s sense of humor that I love. She’s mushy and funny all at the same time, which is really, really, really hard to do. I just got a copy of her book, Ketchup is a Vegetable and I look like an idiot when I’m sitting alone at the pool laughing my butt off.
8. The Bearded Iris – Leslie (my friend who met the sponsor who never heard of a humor blog!!) is hysterical. This girl brings it every single time. I have yet to read anything of hers that doesn’t crack me up. How can you not love someone who calls herself a “vagina DIY-er”?
10. You Know it Happens at Your House Too – Tara is a fellow Kansan with a bit of an obsession with Johnny Depp. OK, she’s actually a borderline stalker, but Johnny would have a lot of laughs with her if he’d just call. I live in the ‘burbs, but Tara is the real Kansas deal. She’s married to a farmer and everything!
I know I’ve forgotten some, so tell me about the funny bloggers you read and do me a favor and share this list with your friends who need a good laugh!