Summer vacation is a great opportunity for kids to let loose all that pent-up energy that builds up over the school year. But when the temperature soars, you might be on the hunt for a fun energy-burning activity that doesn’t come with the risk of heat stroke and sunburns.
So unless you have a jungle gym in your living room (if you do, can we come over?), here’s the best way for your family to get some endorphins indoors – and check another thing off our Ultimate Summer Bucket List at the same time 🙂
This week’s activity: Have a dance party!
If you’ve ever taken a dance class (or even had an impromptu dance-off at a sleepover) you know dancing is a great workout! Even grooving to a single song can leave you out of breath and smiling. Dancing is not only a fun way to burn calories, but also helps improve memory and reduce stress for both you and the kids. And who knows? You might even find out you have a future So You Think You Can Dance champion in your house!
To help get you in the mood, we’ve put together a list of 15 kid-friendly tunes that kids AND parents can rock out to:
- “Happy” by Pharrell Williams
- “I’m a Believer” by Smash Mouth
- “I Wan’na Be Like You (The Monkey Song)” from The Jungle Book
- “Mickey” by Toni Basil
- “Firework” by Katy Perry
- “Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You)” by Kelly Clarkson
- “Twist and Shout” by The Beatles
- “Footloose” by Kenny Loggins
- “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” from Mary Poppins
- “I Got a Feeling” by the Black Eyed Peas
- “Rockin’ Robin” by the Jackson 5
- “I Like To Move It” by Will.i.am
- “Dynamite” by Taio Cruz
- “Macarena” by Los de Rios
- “YMCA” by the Village People
What’s your favorite dance party number? Any suggestions to add to this list?