6 Parenting Controversies That Exhaust Memarinka
I am a mom to a 13-year-old and a 10-year-old and a stepmom to a 17-year-old, so I am constantly exhausted. But nothing, and I mean, nothing exhausts me like the parenting controversies that will just not go away.
I am absolutely all for discussion. But when it’s less about discussion than it is about “I’m right, you’re wrong” it becomes, well…not good.
Here are the top parenting controversies that I am so over:
1. Medicated vs. Unmedicated birth: Both my births were medicated and I have absolutely no regrets. Well, except that they didn’t send me home with a morphine drip.
2. C-section vs. Vaginal birth: I had one of each. There were pros and cons to each. You can’t tell by looking at my kids the method by which they were birthed.
3. Circumcised vs. Uncut: Every family makes the decision that is based on their religious, cultural and medical beliefs. Unless someone is imposing their beliefs on your family, it’s not an issue.
4. Breastfeeding vs. Bottle: Feed your baby. In a way that works for you. I breastfed only one of my children. But there were plenty of lactation consultants around to make me feel guilty about that!
5. Sleep Training vs. No Sleep Training If you don’t want to sleep train your baby, don’t. See also, if you want to sleep train your baby, do.
6. Work Outside the Home Mom vs. Stay At Home Home vs. Work At Home Mom: Different scenarios work for different families. Sometimes different scenarios work for different families at different times.
People are complicated. Families are complex. There is more than one way to skin a cat. Or rear a child, for that matter.