There’s a new study out that says parents are turning their children into future narcissists. I’ve never thought I was overvaluing my children: I’ve always taught them to have self-confidence, but am careful to remind them that they aren’t better than anyone else. But then I took a look at my kids … and I started to see signs that may prove me wrong. Let’s examine the evidence, shall we?
1. My daughter takes forever to get ready in the morning.
What, does she think she’s the Queen of England or something?
2. My son expects me to wait on him hand and foot.
He just sits there and shouts out the foods he wants! “Cookie! Cheerio! Boo-berry!” Like I’m a short-order cook!
3. My daughter’s obsessed with drawing pictures of herself.
Just wait until she finds out about selfies. Oh wait, that ship has sailed.
4. She loves to stare at herself in the mirror.
She even used to kiss her reflection sometimes. SMH.
5. And my son gets mad whenever things don’t go his way.
Maybe he thinks he’s too good for naps.
6. My daughter is already writing her memoir.
Only 5 years old and she thinks her life would be a bestseller.
7. Meanwhile, my son is quite literally getting a big head.
I mean, look at it!
8. And my daughter is forever saying, “Look at me! Look at me!”
As far as she is concerned, I am only her audience.More On