Get Your Advent Calendar Ready for Tomorrow!sharonbeesley
It’s the last day to get your advent calendar ready for December! Here’s 25 activities I’m including in this year’s calendar. Let the countdown to Christmas begin. . .tomorrow!
This is the fourth year of writing out simple activities on a piece of paper and slipping them into each pocket on my advent calendar. I have Jordan Ferney to thank for the idea. I used to put a small candy into each pocket too, but not this year! My kids always sneak candy out and by the 15th it’s usually all gone! Advent 2011 will just be activities, no treats! Bah humbug?
My favorite part of this tradition is that it makes each day in December special, not just Christmas and Christmas Eve. For idea inspiration, I use some of Jordan’s ideas, some of mine, and other ideas from a google search. Here’s the list for this year in no particular order:
1. Decorate a gingerbread house.
2. Write a letter to Santa.
3. Make new ornaments for the tree.
4. Sing a Christmas song.
5. Read Luke II.
6. Donate a pair of PJ’s to Ella’s school’s PJ drive.
7. Take a bubble bath and make Santa beards.
8. Tell each family member something you like about them (Ella’s idea).
9. Mail Christmas cards to both Grandmas and Grandpas.
10. Look at a window display at a department store.
11. Sit on Santa’s lap.
12. Watch a Christmas cartoon/movie.
13. Explain the reason why we have Christmas Trees (Ella’s idea).
14. Donate Food.
15. Check out Christmas books from the library.
16. Bake cookies.
17. Make a paper chain link, display in kids room.
18. Go to the Holiday Train Show at the NY Botanical Garden.
19. Draw a picture of the nativity.
20. Drink hot chocolate and talk about goals for the new year.
21. Read a Christmas book.
22. Build a snowman (crossing our fingers!).
23. Buy gifts for neighbors and place at door step.
24. Open and wear Christmas PJ’s.
25. Talk about the gifts the Three Wise Men brought Jesus.
Are you going to make an advent calendar this year? If nothing else, it gives you great blog content each day!
Picture Credit: Crate and Barrel
Looking for an advent calendar? Check out Babble’s top 25 picks!