It’s a common belief that dads are hard to shop for. They just don’t seem to need much, and the most practical options (socks, ties, gift cards to Outback Steakhouse) are often the most boring as well. When faced with the Father’s Day present predicament last year, we took a panicked nose dive into Pinterest … only to emerge seven hours later, $300 poorer, and with a set of outdoor cabana chairs being sent to our distinctly patio-less home.
So that you might avoid the “Thanks, but what were you thinking?” debacle of 2014, we put together four guides of Father’s Day gifts specifically tailored to your type of guy. Whether he’s athletic or a little on the nerdy side, a rugged outdoorsman or perfectly manicured, the right gift for him is only a few scrolls away. See, that was easy! #mythbusted
Your guy is the kind of guy that has “the big game” to watch … every single night of the week. Whether or not he still hits the field himself, he’s an athlete at heart, which he expresses through his playful demeanor and steady, unrelenting love of his wife and kids. These gifts will appeal to his sportier side, and make him feel like the parenting MVP he truly is.
1. Grill-A-Tongs: Get these from Sportula, $24.99
2. Handlebar Pub Nub: Get this from Uncommon Goods, $20
3. ‘Novel’ Duffel Bag: Get this from Nordstrom, $80
4. Touchdown Pro! Cutting Board: Get this from Overstock, $33.98
5. Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 31: Get these from Finish Line, $79.98
The Big Bang Theory might not get it all right, but they’re on point with just how lovable nerdy boys can be. Your guy knows that there’s just as much joy in books as there is in beers. There’s no better way to celebrate this man on Father’s Day than to show him just how much you understand him, and these gifts do just that (with style.)
1. Another Great Idea Pen: Get this from East Dane, $7
2. Short Circuit Bow Tie: Get this from Uncommon Goods, $45
3. Chemist’s Cocktail Kit: Get this from ThinkGeek, $29.99
4. Bose Wireless Headphones: Get this from Nordstrom, $249.95
5. Superhero Dad Mug: Get this from ThinkGeek, $7.79
6. Tear-Away Flash Drives: Get this from The Grommet, $39.95
Dads often get a bad rap for being the dorkier member of the relationship (hello dad bod, dad jeans, and dad jokes), but that simply isn’t true for your man. He’s a dapper dad through and through, from the chivalrous manners to the refined tastes. Though the best things he ever received were you and your littles, these items will come in close second with their effortless class and gentlemanly influence.
1. Carry On ‘Old Fashioned’ Cocktail Kit: Get this from Carry On Cocktail Kit, $24
2. Pocket Comb: Get this from East Dane, $18
3. Whiskey Stones and Gift Set: Get this from Uncommon Goods, $20–58
4. Blue Chambray Shirt: Get this from Black Lapel, $99
5. Clubmaster Sunglasses: Get these from Ray-Ban, $160
You can always count on your man for a big hug, a hike, and the kind of unconditional love that always makes you feel at home. He may never wear an ascot, but your guy’s got charm by the barrel. (He also has whiskey by the barrel … coincidence?) Remind him that he’s your family’s number one this Father’s day with these gifts, intended to spice up his life in every way he’s spiced up yours.
1. ‘The Long One’ Beer Brewing Kit: Get this from Box Brew Kits, $156.75
2. Front Loading Toolbox: Get this from Best Made Co., $94
3. Beard Care Pack: Get this from Sam’s Natural, $39.95
4. Staheekum ‘Country’ Slipper: Get these from Nordstrom, $29.95
5. Stainless Steel Master Grill Tools: Get this from Overstock, $83.29