Women’s Equality Day has been observed every Aug. 26 since 1971 to commemorate the 19th Amendment, which was passed in 1920, giving women the right to vote.
Since 1971, however, Women’s Equality Day also “calls attention to women’s continuing efforts towards full equality,” according to the National Women’s History Project.
Each year on the date, the President of the United States publishes a proclamation that says:
WHEREAS, the women of the United States have been treated as second-class citizens and have not been entitled the full rights and privileges, public or private, legal or institutional, which are available to male citizens of the United States; and
WHEREAS, the women of the United States have united to assure that these rights and privileges are available to all citizens equally regardless of sex;
WHEREAS, the women of the United States have designated August 26, the anniversary date of the passage of the Nineteenth Amendment, as symbol of the continued fight for equal rights: and
WHEREAS, the women of United States are to be commended and supported in their organizations and activities,
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, that August 26 of each year is designated as “Women’s Equality Day,” and the President is authorized and requested to issue a proclamation annually in commemoration of that day in 1920, on which the women of America were first given the right to vote, and that day in 1970, on which a nationwide demonstration for women’s rights took place.
In honor of Women’s Equality Day 2013, here are seven moments worthy of a day that recognize the strides being taken by and for women:[collection type=’slideshow’ style=’classic’]
More from Meredith on Babble:
- 10 Ways Being a Mom Will Make You Feel Older Than Dirt
- 7 Truths Moms Have to Learn the Hard Way
- Splash! 20 People Respond Hilariously While Getting Doused in the Face with Water
- 18 Sweet Babies Comically Pucker Up to Sour Lemon Slices
- Look, Kids! Big Ben! 10 Awkward Vacation Photos More Painful Than the Griswolds’
- Photographer Uses Children to Brilliantly Re-create 6 Famous Images of Pop-Culture Icons
- 15 Hilarious Photos of a Little Girl with a Big Personality in ‘Photogenic Princess’ Series
- Clever Photographer Chalks Up a Win with Baby “Blackboard Adventures’ Portraits (PHOTOS)
- The Sound of Silence: 7 Reasons Why Quiet Never Also Means Peace with Little Kids