‘Fat. Fit. Flabulous!’ Photographer Celebrates Healthy Ladies with Love Handles (PHOTOS)Meredith Carroll
If you think fat discrimination is only a factor on runways and in high-fashion magazines, think again.
Ask a regular, non-plus-size model heavy person if they ever get looks of pity and disgust and experience discrimination based on the size of their jeans, you’ll be hard pressed to find someone who says “no.”
While there are undoubtedly countless fat women who slink in the shadows out of shame and fear of further humiliation, Hasbun wants those women to know about some Bay Area activists “at the center of a new civil rights movement known as Health at Every Size (HAES).”
It’s a group that calls itself “the new peace movement” and “acknowledges that good health can best be realized independent from considerations of size. It supports people—of all sizes—in addressing health directly by adopting healthy behaviors.”
They want people to honor their bodies in a way improves their health — and encourage people to adopt health habits for the sake of well-being, not a number on the scale. In doing so, they hope others will accept and respect the diversity of body shapes and sizes. Their objective is for people to achieve fitness goals by moving with joy and “becoming more physically vital.”
Hasbun’s “Fat. Fit. Flabulous!” series celebrates women with love handles and flab by showing their sparkly, effervescent way of moving around with more.
Take a look:
[collection type=’slideshow’ style=’classic’]
All photos used with permission from Gabriela Hasbun
More from Meredith on Babble:
- Red, White and Awkward: 10 Fourth of July Photos with More Agita Than a Hot Dog-Eating Champion
- Fake It Til You Make It: Artist Mixes Total Strangers to Construct Family Portraits (PHOTOS)
- Cabbage Patch Wigs: For Everyone Who Feels the 1980s Came and Went Far Too Soon (PHOTOS)
- Speak Like a Native’ Ads Cleverly Suggest Another Language Lurks Inside Us All (PHOTOS)
- Daydreamers: Photographer Captures the Sparkle of People Envisioning Happiness (PHOTOS)