This weekend, kids all over the country will be shouting “trick or treat,” before waiting impatiently on your doorstep for their loudly-demanded, chocolate-covered bounty. But why let them have all the fun? After all, it’s the parents who are underwriting this annual, cavity-inducing celebration, right? So shouldn’t we get to partake in some of the fun, too?
I know what you’re thinking. We do partake. But in my book, going on a three-week sugar bender is far from fun. So this Halloween, I’ve decided to turn the tables. “Trick or treat?” they ask?
Trick is my answer. (Before I cave and give out the treat, that is.) Thanks to some great ideas I found on two Halloween-themed websites, I’ve uncovered five harmless pranks that should make my night of handing out candy all the more fun.
5. An oldie but a goodie from Halloween-website.com: Dress up as though you are the inanimate Halloween Decor for your lawn. Example: scarecrow, Frankenstein, etc. Be as still as you can. When someone walks by, jump out and scare the heck out of them. Another idea is to lay flat on the lawn, pretending to be in a grave marked with a tombstone. Imagine their surprise when you rise from the dead!
4. This prank, also from Halloween-website.com is a quirky one. Right up my alley. I can assure you I’ll be giving it a whirl on Sunday: Get dressed up so you are unrecognizable. Join a group of trick-or-treaters, preferably some you know. It will drive them nuts not knowing who you are.
3. I’m king of making jokes that kids don’t understand. (So why is it, I wonder, that I’m not funny, but the Simpsons are?) I have a feeling this next prank, from MadnessMansion.com (which is a really cool website for what it’s worth) falls under that category. Maybe my wife will think it’s funny. I sure do: Hand out menus to the trick-or-treaters and let them order their own candy. Keep asking if anyone wants to see the wine list.
2. In keeping with humor that’s a bit off the beaten trail, the following gem offered by MadnessMansion.com conjures up images mistaken i-deity (sorry). Might I also suggest you add a regal cape of sorts?: Put a crown on a pumpkin and put the pumpkin on a throne on your porch. Insist that all of the trick-or-treaters bow before the pumpkin.
1. And my personal favorite — it’s from Halloween-website.com. It’s less funny and more creepy — probably not one I’d let play out for too long: Write on a mirror with your finger, delivering a scary message such as “I’m watching you!” Breathe on the mirror and you can see your words. Let it dry naturally. When your friend takes a shower, the words will appear again when the mirror fogs up.
Do you have any pranks to add to the list?
Photo — MorgueFile.
More Strollerderby posts from John Cave Osborne:
Department of Education — Teachers Can Be Held Accountable for Bullying
Story of Teenage Drug Addiction — Henry’s Story — to Air on TV
Dad Pulls Over on Way to Hospital to Deliver His Own Baby
Head Lice Happens — 10 Steps to Make the Nightmare End
Swimmer Fran Crippen’s Death the Latest Sports Tragedy