'It Shouldn't Happen Here': Children from Deprived Area of London Explain What it Means to be Poor (PHOTOS)Meredith Carroll
Poverty shouldn’t happen anywhere, but sometimes it still happens in the places you least expect it.
“It Shouldn’t Happen Here” is a campaign (which we first saw on Feature Shoot) by renown photographer Spencer Murphy along with the UK’s Save the Children nonprofit organization, which typically works in third-world countries to help save children’s lives and fight for their rights.
In this case, however, Murphy teamed up with Save the Children to photograph kids from a “deprived” area of London “to create a picture of what those children . . . thought about poverty.” From no shoes to no education and even no family — their take on those who have it worse than them was bleak.
These are some of the photos from the series “This Kind of Poverty,” along with the kids’ words on the topic:[collection type=’slideshow’ style=’classic’]
More from Meredith on Babble:
- Muwhahaha! 10 Prom Photos so Awful They’re Sure to Trigger the Awkward Alarm
- Nerdiest Couple EVER Takes the 6 Most Awkward, Sexy and Hilarious Engagement Photos EVER
- Photographer Brings Dreams to Life for Boy with Muscular Dystrophy (PHOTOS)
- 10 Photos that are the Perfect Recipe for a Perfectly Awkward Mother’s Day
- Doubly Delightful: Dad Lovingly Captures Precious Twin Girls on Film (PHOTOS)
- Gorgeous Children Shine in the National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest (PHOTOS)