Oprah's Facebook Interview: A Few Pearls of Wisdom to Guide Your Businessjusticefergie
For some reason I missed the first boat on the airing of Oprah’s interview by Sheryl Sandberg, COO of Facebook. But I did catch a replay of it last night. Disclosure: I am a card-carrying member of the Oprah Forever Fan Club and so, for the most part, she can say or do no wrong in my book. So it was no surprise that I was thoroughly entertained by her exchange and encouraged by her words of wisdom. Here are some of the high points of the interview that resonated with me (and I’m paraphrasing):
- Surround yourself with, and carefully select and gather the tribe of, people who want to be a part of your mission. And, along those same lines, one of Oprah’s mantras is: I only want the people with me, who want to be with me.
- Always try to raise the bar.
- Determine what is your greater, global mission is and try to fulfill it.
- Ask yourself: How do I serve myself first? How can I use my life as a service to myself, my family, my community?
- Know that when you invest in a girl, you invest in a community.
- Remember that your legacy is made every day.
- You are a star. Every day you are creating a show that is your life.
- Your heartprint is left on every person that you touch.
As I mentioned to my less-than-interested husband last night after watching the interview was that I am absolutely floored by how at peace, grounded and self-aware Oprah is. I adore seeing successful people who are able to see beyond the end of their noses. I am also looking forward to watch her OWN Network undergo its revamp at her hands — the previews for the new shows already look light years better than what we’ve been seeing for the past several months. My money’s on Oprah’s magic touch turning things around. Forget interviews and entertainment — I say she spend some time teaching; I’d love to take a business strategy class taught by the one and only Ms. Winfrey.
Watch the interview here: